Friday, July 13, 2012

To the Naysayers

My brother says I can't do it.

That I won't even be able to attempt the Tough Mudder. He says "That's the kind of stuff I would do. Not you."

My guess is some background is in order. My brother and I are like night and day. He's all about machines, motorcycles, rock climbing, stuff you normally see macho, tough guys doing. I've always been much more content reading a book, cooking, hiking, Renaissance Man kind of things. He was the wild kid, and I was the good one.

Things started changing. He laughed when I pierced my ears, because "I was trying to be cool like him". Then I got a tattoo and he was shocked. He should have been the first to get tattooed, after all he was the crazy one. Now my body has tons of tattoos and his is still bare. (And I'm planning on taking advantage of the "Get a Tough Mudder tattoo for cheap and into next year's competition for free" plan) 

So when I proudly told him I signed up for Tough Mudder, he laughed. "Do you even know what it is? They have that around here and there's no way you can do it!" My reply was, "Bull. You have no idea what I can do. I've always been a hell of a lot more stubborn than you, and this is happening."

"Alright, we'll see"

We'll see indeed. Maybe I won't be able to do some of the obstacles. I've never been good at pullups or pushups. But you know what I am good at? Being tough as hell. Being stubborn as hell. Being supportive of my friends when times are difficult. So not only will I do this, but so will Andy. We're going to be glorious.

You'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, sir!

    It is rough sometimes with the naysayers. I've been told more than a couple of times that I won't be able to do this, and to those people, I reply:

    Piss off. The only thing that limits me, is me.

    ReplyDelete