Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Change is Hard

Please stand by for rambling and a tiny bit of venting:

I have to admit that I've gotten used to this lifestyle that I'm living.

Lazy.

I've been trying to make a real commitment to changing my habits that I've formed over the last year and and half.  Since moving away from my family and out on my own with my son, I've only gotten worse.  I don't know if it's that I had less to maintain for the 6+ months that I lived with them and the co-dependency I picked up from having an instant babysitter anytime I was unable to make dinner or needed to run off to the gym or if it's something else.

All I know, is that I've really tried to live a better lifestyle since returning home from Tough Mudder and it's never seemed so hard.  I've been returning to my health and fitness roots in Mark Sisson and the Primal Blueprint, but so far I have fulfilled very little of what he has asked of his readers.

For instance, on Day 1, he suggested that we have a "pantry purge" where we throw away/donate all of the unhealthy foods in our kitchen.  My pantry isn't the worst, but it still needs a lot of improvement, but I still have yet to actually get up and do it.  It's those kinds of things that are really causing me to struggle.

An excuse that I've made for not purging my foods is my son.  I am fooling myself in thinking that he won't adjust well to not having his comfort foods in the house.  My wife was against me putting him on this diet with me, and so is my immediate family.  The part that gets me is that I know this is a safe and healthy diet for him, and I don't want him to end up like me.

Isn't childhood obesity at an all-time high right now?  So much so that is't being called an epidemic?  Hell, our current First Lady is leaving her mark on the U.S. through her fight to end childhood obesity...

I think writing about this is giving me the motivation to at least get the objectives for Day 1 completed.

In other news, I had to re-stock my multivitamins and used the opportunity to order the Primal Blueprint 90-Day Journal.  I'm hoping that a visual guide like this will give me the daily motivation and insight I need to get myself back on track.  I'll be sure to update on how it's working after in comes in.

Thanks for reading through this with me.

- Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment