Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Tougher Than Mud

Where I live, there aren't a lot of people that really know anything about what Tough Mudder is.  I showed up to the gym and my classes on Monday and I mostly just got odd looks at my new facial hair and my orange headband.  A couple of people recognized the band or the name written on it and asked me about it, but I couldn't tell whether they actually believed that I did what I said or that I was just crazy.

The ones who did believe that I actually went through the grueling 12.1 mile obstacle course asked me about how hard it was, and the only thing I could tell them was, "It was the hardest thing -physically- that I've ever done in my life."

I've hiked in areas all over the state of Kentucky, ran in a 5k, and put myself through circuits with a personal trainer until I thought I would throw up, but I have never participated in something so exhausting in my life.  

The course was 12.1 miles long.  For a marathon runner, that's no sweat, but what most people don't account for is the hills.  90% of the terrain we went through was either up or downhill.  The obstacles were the only reason you found flat terrain.  As for the obstacles themselves, I only completed 3 of them.  I completed the Kiss of Mud because it was the first obstacle, the Mud Mile was an unavoidable part of the course, and I was too tired to even think about skipping the Electroshock Therapy.  I attempted a few more of the obstacles, but I was unable to finish them.  There were many more that I skipped all-together.

What I loved about it:
  • I loved accomplishing what people said I couldn't.
  • I loved the people.  Big Mudder told us to help our fellow Mudder's.  I didn't think that people would take it to heart like they did.  As I struggled along the course, I had so many people pass me and ask if I was alright or if I needed help.  Of course, I told them I was fine, but it was awesome all the same.  And I've never had so much encouragement from strangers in my life.  I met people at Tough Mudder that were more supportive of me than some of my best friends and family.  I can't wait to see all of them again next year.
  • I loved the challenge.  I may not have completed the obstacles, but I had a great time trying.
What I hated:
  • At the event and on the actual course itself, I didn't really hate anything.  It was a great experience.
  • I do, however, have a new-found hatred for hills.
  • Before the event, I hated that there were so many people that not only said that I couldn't do it, but that I wouldn't.  I didn't like that people thought that I was crazy for even attempting something like this.  I guess that I can sympathize with some of their worries, like from my family, but I knew what I was getting into before I went.
  • After the event, I hated that some people told me they didn't believe that I actually did it, and I didn't like that some of them still called me crazy.
What I learned:
  • I learned that I've let myself go way too much since Amber died.  I thought (and I know now that I was lying to myself) that I had just gained a little weight back, but I used to be so much better.
  • I learned that I'm capable of doing a lot more than what other people or even what I say I can.
Overall, I had one of the best experiences of my life.  I have a lot of training ahead of me and a lot of wrongs that need to be righted in my diet, because there was one last thing I learned at Tough Mudder:

I've got one year to get ready for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment