Friday, July 22, 2011

Transplanting to New Ponds

When I was in my other town, I got comfortable at my local gym after a while.  I knew that when I went in there was not going to be many people there, and I would probably be one of the youngest people there.  When you live in a small town and belong to a gym that wants Everybody to come there, you will see every-body.  Except younger people, because they still like to go to the bigger gyms in the next town where there are more options for exercise.  I thrived there though.  I knew I could go in and use the same machines over and over and vary the exercises I did on them by just a little to keep the workout interesting.

I started my membership at my new gym today.  I knew the gym was much bigger, as I had done quite a bit of research on Youtube and Google.  The membership fees were about the same, so I wasn't worried about the cost and this gym came with a few more benefits, so I was even eager to go.  I knew things were going to be different when I walked on the weightlifting floor and one of the first people to greet me looked like this:


There was a guy right in the middle of the floor doing arm curls, and making the Angry John Mccain face (AJMF).  He was really into it and I'm sure that he wasn't aware that he was making the AJMF, and I know that he didn't have any idea how much he caught me off guard.  The other part I had trouble with was realizing that other than the guy working the desk, I was one of the oldest people there.  I'm only 25.

Needless to say, I left and went upstairs to walk on the treadmill for a while.  The treadmills were nice, the ellipticals were set up differently and didn't feel as natural to walk on as my old gym's ellipticals.  The bikes were about the same, but they have a stair climber at my new gym!

I finally walked back downstairs and tried out the weightlifting floor again.  AJMF guy was there, but this time he was on a cable-cross system and was looking away from me.  I started off by trying out some bench presses.  It was the first time I had tried bench presses without a Smith Machine or any other kind of machine.  It really was different to use free weights to lift with and I really enjoyed it.  I used stabilizer muscles that I didn't even know existed, but I had to trade off by using less weight.  Most of the rest of my routine was the same, but just on different brands of machines.  

The thing I look forward to at this gym the most is the classes they offer and the new machines and free weights they offer.  They have a class on Monday evenings that is similar to Crossfit, and I can't wait to join it.  

I'll be sure to update you on how I'm doing at the new gym and if I have any more encounters with AJMF guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment