Monday, February 14, 2011

Oxy-ELITE Pro 10-Capsule Trial


What it is
Super Thermogenic™
OxyELITE Pro™ is Pharmacist-formulated to deliver fast results.Therefore, it must be used with extreme caution, and only by healthy adults capable of handling its quick results and true power. It is mandatory that users get clearance from their physician before use.
          (Source: GNC - USPlabs OxyELITE Pro)
This supplement is advertised as a thermogenic, which is supposed to "produce heat and is commonly applied to drugs which increase heat through metabolic stimulation" (source Wikipedia.org).  It is also boasted by many to be an appetite suppressant, although I don't recall reading that on the bottle anywhere.  This supplement is one of the heaviest pushed at my local GNC store, and I would suspect that this is the same at most of them.

Directions on the bottle
As a dietary supplement, take 1-2 capsules on an empty stomach before breakfast. Take an additional 1 capsule six to eight hours later on an emptystomach, if needed. Due to extreme potency, begin by taking 1 capsule before breakfast and 1 capsule six to eight hours later to assess tolerance. DO NO USE PRODUCT FOR LONGER THAN 8 WEEKS FOLLOWED BY A SUBSEQUENT 4 WEEK BREAK. DO NOT EXCEED 3 CAPSULES IN ANY 24 HOUR PERIOD.
          (Source: GNC - USPlabs OxyELITE Pro)


Controls Used While on the Trial
During this trial, I kept up most of my daily routines.  Regardless of other factors, such as daily diet and exercise, I took my normal supplements which include a GNC Mega Men Sport Multivitamin and 2,000 mg of Flaxseed Oil daily.  On days that I exercised, I also took two capsules (recommended dose) of Everlast Energy.

Pre-Trial Thoughts
I was never too crazy about OxyELITE Pro after the first time that I tried it.  After being on it for one day, I had overwhelming nausea and slight jitters.  I couldn't imagine how this could be beneficial to anyone wanting to lose weight.

The Trial
Day 1: One capsule, taken 30 minutes before breakfast.  I seemed to be more alert than usual.  No nausea like the first time I tried it. 

Day 2: One capsule, taken 30 minutes before breakfast.  The boost from the capsule was enough to carry me through a boring day of classes, and then on to work for another 12 hours.  For me to be awake that long, I was impressed by the ability of the capsule and the effect that it had on my appetite.  I didn't have the urge to eat nearly as much as normal.  I almost had to remind myself to eat dinner.

Day 3: One capsule, taken 30 minutes before my first meal.  I actually took this meal when I woke up, but I slept late that day after being up for so long.  I went to work right after waking up, and then back to sleep that night after working six hours.  I finally felt that nasty old nausea that I first got when trying it.

Day 4:  One capsule, taken 30 minutes before breakfast. This was the point when the supplement directions recommend that the user take one capsule in the morning, 30 minutes before breakfast, and then -if needed- another in the afternoon.  I did not take the second capsule and I could feel it.  I'm curious to know if the body is supposed to feel like it's adjusting to the affects of the supplement.

Day 5: One capsule, taken 30 minutes before lunch.  This time, I prolonged taking the supplement.  I noticed that I was back to eating bigger portions.  I wasn't thrilled about this and I had to look to alternative ways to compensate for it the next day.  This was also a long day and late night for me.

Day 6: One capsule, taken 30 minutes before breakfast. I had actually intended to take this supplement twice, but forgot the second set.  I'm okay with this though, because it would have left me with a day with just one supplement.  This is the second day that I went to the gym while taking the capsule.  I honestly didn't feel any difference between these days and normal days in terms of performance.

Day 7: One capsule, taken 30 minutes before breakfast, another, taken 30 minutes before dinner.  This was my first day of taking two capsules in the same day.  I could feel the pick-up after the second capsule in the evening.

Day 8: One capsule, taken 30 minutes before breakfast, another, taken 30 minutes before dinner.  This was the second day of taking two capsules in one day.  This time, I did not feel the boost from the supplement.  This was also the last day with the supplement.

Day 9: No capsules.  I felt like I had the same amount of energy as all the previous days.  I also felt like my appetite was the same as all the days before.  I was surprised because I thought I would return to eating more.

Post-Trial Thoughts
My end-result feelings about Oxy-ELITE Pro are mixed.  I feel the supplement is both effective and ineffective.  The first few days that I was taking the capsules I could feel all of their effects.  I felt the energy boost as well as the appetite suppression.  However, after a few days had passed I could no longer feel those effects.  To verify this, I added in a day without the supplement in my system.  Not to my surprise, I could feel no difference between this day and all of the previous days.

I have to wonder now if the Oxy-ELITE isn't a very effective placebo.  I suggest that maybe, this drug is something that has been created to help people achieve what they cannot on their own, which is more control over their appetite and exercise routines.  It is possibly an expensive, albeit effective, way of convincing people that it is helping them not eat that extra portion of dinner and to go that extra mile of the treadmill.

On the other hand, if the Oxy-ELITE does actually do what it is supposed to, maybe it is something that certain bodies (say mine, for instance) can grow immune to.  The label does say that is not supposed to be taken longer than a period of eight weeks.  Is this because our bodies build a tolerance to it?

In the end, I do not think that I will be recommending this supplement to my friends.  However, I will not discourage anybody from taking it, especially if it is helping them to achieve their goals.  

No comments:

Post a Comment