Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Snack of the Week - Raisins


I'm posting some of my favorite healthy snacks that I eat.  I want to keep these snacks always fresh in your mind, so I'm going to post a new one every week.  Some of them will be foods that you have all the time, but never knew how beneficial they were.  Some of them will be foods you thought were gross, but maybe deserve a second chance.  Some of them may be foods you've never even heard of!  Whatever the case may be, if you're out at your local grocery, remember to pick up a little of one of these foods and chew on them for thought!

About Raisins
Raisins are dried grapes. They are produced in many regions of the world. Raisins may be eaten raw or used in cooking, baking and brewing. In the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand the word "raisin" is reserved for the dried large dark grape, with "sultana" being a dried large white grape, and "currant" being a dried small Black Corinth grape.
(Source: Wikipedia.org)

Ways to Enjoy Raisins
The first thing that needs to be said before you go and open up that box of raisins is this: Raisins are over 50% sugar, so they should be enjoyed in moderation.   Once again, my favorite way to enjoy this food is straight out of the box.

If you're looking for a little something extra, raisins can be added to those almonds I mentioned a couple of weeks ago with some other nuts and a little bit of dark chocolate to make a delicious trail mix.  Raisins also work great as a salad topper.  You can also throw them into a chicken salad, or get nostalgic using them to top some nut butter on a banana or celery to make Ants on a Log!

Raisin Nutrition

2 comments:

  1. I love raisins! Sarah and I make our own fruit roll ups by dehydrating applesauce... its amazing and very healthy if you get the no sugar added apple sauce!

    Keep up the good work friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've really been thinking about investing in a dehydrator lately. I have a thing called a NuWave oven that has a recipe for something "like" jerky and other dehydrated food, but it just doesn't do the trick. I would love to make real jerky and other great dehydrated treats so I can stop buying it in the store!

    Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete