Thursday, May 5, 2011

An Update on My Supplements


Over the past couple of months, I've made a few changes to my supplementation routine.  They're not really huge changes, but they're worth mentioning for the people that ask:

What are you taking that's helping you do this?  The answers might surprise you.


I've been switched over to just the multivitamin form of this for a few months now.  I used to take the Vita-paks, but I didn't like how much I was paying for something that I wasn't entirely sure that I needed it all.  In the long-run, this has been much cheaper than buying the Vita-paks.  I take two of these daily with water. 


I first started using protein powder a couple of months ago, after a group session with Christopher Poe.  He recommended having a protein shake after workouts for faster muscle recovery.  Whey protein powder was also highly recommended by Mark Sisson for better weight loss results.  I had a 2 pound bottle in my cabinet that I had purchased at the grocery a year ago that hadn't expired and tasted alright.  I finally went through the whole thing a couple of weeks ago and started shopping for the replacement.  I found this one on the GNC website and thought it was worth giving it a try for the price of it.  I got it in the mail last week and started using it, and it is amazing!  I get the same, if not better, recovery for my muscles as the other powder gave me, and this one tastes a ton better!  The chocolate flavor is awesome and it works great with water.  What more could I ask for?  I mix one scoop of the powder with 8 oz. of water and drink it after each workout.


Some of you might remember that I used to take Flaxseed Oil supplements.  While I did love the Flaxseed, I found out that it just wasn't enough for my body.  My cholesterol scores were great, but a few studies I read about said that Flaxseed just wasn't able to produce the results that Fish oil could.  After my current supply of flaxseed oil capsules ran out, I made the switch to fish.  Now, I'm not one to be too impressed by labels, so I wasn't drawn to the ones called Ultra Mega Fish Oil 5 Billion with OMEGA-3!!!!1!!!!!!.  I went for just the plain old fish oil from GNC (did I mention the price of shipping goes down when you order multiple things from the same place?).  I take two fish oil gelcaps daily with a glass of water.


You remember our old friend, Mega-T Green Tea capsules, right?  After the trial that I did with them, I fell in love with them.  I've essentially stopped using the Everlast Energy because I found it to just not be useful to me.  These tablets give me the boost I need for my workout and even on a really sluggish day, and they have less caffeine in them than most other supplements.  The feeling they give me is a clean, no-jitters, energy with no crash afterwards.  I take one of these tablets with a glass of water 15-30 minutes prior to a workout for energy.


Wait a minute; this isn't a dietary supplement!  No, it's not.  But it is allergy season.  If you live anywhere near where I do (anywhere between Louisville, KY and Ashville, NC are considered to be the worst places in the world for people with seasonal allergies), then you should invest in this.  Even if you aren't outside that much, pollens, grass clippings, and spores can all float right to you and wreak havoc on your sinuses.  It's a small expense and well worth it.  If you can afford the brand name, remember that certain stores carry generic brands that are exactly the same and just as effective.  I take one tablet a day with a glass of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment